Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Highlights of the week so far...

Today is Tuesday and so far my week has been this:
  • A flood
  • A near work disaster
  • A mom-imposed snow day
  • A headache so bad today that I thought for sure I was going to stroke out
Sunday afternoon I sent the kids upstairs to play and just sat down to finish a job due on Monday when I heard a pop and an explosion and then hissing.  I thought for sure my kitchen was on fire from what I was hearing, but when I ran in, I discovered water streaming/squirting out from underneath the dishwasher.

I started screaming, "We have a flood!  We have a flood!"

Brand ran downstairs and, first, accused me of causing the disaster and then proceeded to figure out how to stop the water.

At one point I said to him as he was pulling the dishwasher out from under the counter, "Dude, you're going to get electrocuted, " as he was fiddling with plugs and standing in what was now a pool of water.  He looked at me and said, "Good point," and put a pair of boots on.

By the time he found the shut-off valve that was hidden under all the cleaning supplies under the sink (doh), we had a serious flood.  At this point we thought we had a burst pipe or something, so we called the landlord to come check on the apartment downstairs because our neighbors weren't home.  There was water seeping in through their light fixtures and smoke detectors and whatnot, but thankfully not a whole lot of damage.

Brand and I used every towel we own to clean the mess.  It was a disaster....but not as much of a disaster as it would have been if we weren't home.

Edited to add:  The flood was caused by a broken dishwasher piece, not a broken pipe.

********************************************************************************

Yesterday I got a call that an attorney is claiming they never got a transcript from November of 2009.

Yeah, okay, buddy.  Why don't you tell the truth and just say you lost it...but whatever.

So I go to look for my back-up for 2009 and can't find it.  I've switched computers twice since then and my only hope for printing out this transcript was the missing back-up SD card.

Let's just say that I wanted to kill myself all day because I thought it was lost forever...and then Brand came home and found it in a matter of two minutes.

Thank God.

I think that was my sign from the heavens that it's time to get organized.

******************************************************************************


I think the stress of yesterday caused me to have a seriously bad headache last night into today.

It was the kind of headache where it feels like your brain is smacking up against your skull with every movement.

On top of that, I kept my kids home from school today because we got several more inches of snow this morning and I didn't feel safe putting them on the bus.

Yes, I know, I'm a little neurotic.

Look, I live in New England.  I get that it snows here.

But for real....it never snows this much or this often.  And people drive like assholes.  And I'm not trusting somebody else to drive them in this weather.  They're still little.  Let me control their every movement while I still can.  Okay?

*******************************************************************************

On a good note, Jayden started dance class last night and she's thrilled!  I'm very excited for her.

So that's it.

We're supposed to get another big-ass storm tomorrow night into Thursday.  Big damn surprise.

If this is going to be the new winter trend, I think we should buy a plow.

Blurry picture, but I love her face here.

No comments:

Post a Comment