Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Sign of the Times

So I'm sure many of you remember the Scholastic book orders from when we were kids.

The day that box showed up in school with the book order was a fantastic one...at least for those of us who got to take home a prize.

I remember it fondly because some months I was actually allowed to pick a book or two.

That was back when I was way into the Sweet Valley High books, Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield.  I can't believe I actually just remembered their names.  It popped into my head...without Google's help.  Amazing.

I happen to enjoy reading immensely.  Unfortunately, I don't have much time to read at this point because of everything else on my to-do list, but I am trying to make little readers out of my kids.

Do I buy them stuff out of the book orders?

Never.

Why?

Because I spend a fortune at Barnes & Noble instead.

Anywhooooo, the point of this post is getting a little skewed.

In 2010, not only do kids get to come home and beg for books, but nowadays they also get to beg for video games.

Yes, you have read correctly.

Scholastic puts out a flyer now for Nintendo games and PC games.  They are the educational variety of course, but still...

If you couldn't talk your mom into buying you a two dollar book, you're damn sure not going to get her to buy you a thirty dollar video game.

The times sure are a'changin'.  For reals.

No comments:

Post a Comment