Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Exhaustion

When I was pregnant with my first baby, I remember my mom telling me that I wouldn't sleep for the next 18 years.

Boy, she wasn't kidding.

I haven't had a good night sleep since 2002.

If I'm not catching up on work until 3 a.m., I am playing musical beds all night.  That means that I fall asleep in my bed or on the couch and one of the kids wakes up from a bad dream or whatever and finds me. 

Sometimes they lay down with me and that's fine, but other times my back is killing me so I move to another bed.  I have gone from my bed to the couch to Ryan's bed to Jayden's bed and back to my bed all in one night.

They're like bloodhounds.  They can sniff me out no matter where I am.

I have actually considered taking a blanket and pillow into the bathtub.  I'd like to see them try and find me there.

My kids have only spent overnights at other people's houses a handful of times since they were born, and those nights I end up sleeping the worst.  I like to have my chicks in their own nest, if you catch my drift. 
 Instead of being awake because I have a 40-pound child sleeping on my back (true story), I'm awake worrying all night because I can't physically walk into their room and check on them.

I'm a little paranoid when it comes to my children.  My bedroom is on a different floor than theirs, so oftentimes I sleep on the couch near their room because I feel most comfortable when they're right near me.

I am not looking forward to sleepovers at friends' houses....or the teenage years when they're on dates and driving cars.  Yikes.

People think the baby stage is the hard part.

No way, man.

Each age presents new challenges....more complicated than the last.

It's exhausting just thinking about it.

Yawn.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment