Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Most Boring Summer Ever

Summer vacation is usually pretty laid back around here, but the summer of 2011 is turning out to be pitiful.

We started it off by having our cats spayed and cones of shame all around.  I spent 10 days obsessed with their incisions and hoping they would remain infection-free...which they did.



Most summers are filled with days of swimming, lots of playing in the backyard, and a road trip to some vacation destination.  Last year was Myrtle Beach.  The year before that was Charlotte, North Carolina.

This year, it's nowhere.  It seems like the ice cream man isn't even coming around our neighborhood this year.

My kids are on a total teenager sleep schedule.  They go to bed at 1 a.m. and sleep until noon...or later.  They wake up, pop some waffles or Toaster Strudels into the toaster oven, and then rotate between the TV, killing zombies on the Xbox, stealing my iPhone so they can tend to their zen gardens, coloring pictures, reading a book, and fighting all the while.  They go outside for five-minute increments, if I'm lucky.
 
To top off this crappy summer, my husband landed on his chin playing basketball and broke his jaw last week.  It's been one week since his jaw was wired shut, and he is Miserable, with a capital M.

I am incredibly thankful for the doctors who patched him up, but I have some gripes with the fact that they did not file down a broken molar in the back while he was in surgery.  The jagged tooth is now shredding his tongue every time he swallows, and it would be too painful to open up his mouth to file it down now.

When he went for an emergency follow-up to complain about the pain, the doctor kindly refilled his meds, but decided to cut the dose from two percocet every four hours to one percocet every four hours.  It doesn't really make much sense to cut the pain meds when a person comes in because his pain just isn't subsiding.

Turns out the blender I bought 8 years ago that has been sitting in the abyss of my cabinet up until now is pretty handy for a liquid diet.  Smoothies and soup all around.

Yeah, so this summer sucks.  Das it.

One bright note for me was listening to the audio version of The Help.  I can't even explain how much I loved it.  In fact, I'm listening to it again and I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie.  If you haven't read it yet, do it now.  Trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment