Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Screw You, Strep Throat.

The plague is back in the Noble household.

Jayden has strep throat.  I pretty much knew since Sunday that she had it because her throat hurt so bad that she wasn't eating or drinking...and she was absolutely miserable.

Of course the fever began overnight between Friday and Saturday, as fevers always do, and I could just feel the heat radiating off her body.  So I gave her Advil and hoped that whatever sickness this was didn't involve puking. 

After work yesterday, I called the pediatrician's office and told them that I wanted to bring her in for a strep test.  Because she had a fever, the doctor insisted on seeing her.  The conversation went like this:

Nurse:  "What symptoms does she have other than a sore throat?"

Me:  "A fever."

Nurse:  "What's her temperature?"

Me:  "I don't know."

Nurse:  "So she could just be warm?"

Me:  "Um, no.  She has a fever."

Now, I don't pretend to have a medical degree, nor am I an RN, but I'm pretty sure that being a mother for the last 8 years gives me the ability to diagnose a fever practically by just looking at my child.

Attitude unappreciated.

Anyway, Jayden has never been scared to go to the doctor.  But she had it in her mind that the swab she was going to need was akin to having her leg sawed off with no anesthesia.  I literally had to drag her out the door.  She was sobbing.  I have never seen her act that way in my life.

A lady in the parking lot smiled at me and said, "Going to peeds, huh?"

It was absurd.  I wish I had it on film.

Luckily the ginormous fish tank in the waiting room took her mind off the impending doom for 5 minutes and she was pretty calm by the time we went into the examination room.

After the doctor looked at her and decided she needed her throat swabbed (duh), the nurse came in with that long Q-tip and did the deed.  Jayden barely even gagged.

When it was over, she looked at me and gave me half a smirk because she was obviously relieved; but she turned her attitude right back on because she clearly couldn't let me know that I was right all along.  She said, "I'm still not talking to you."

Whatever.

So now she's stuck at home with the pink stuff...but at least she's already feeling better this morning.  She's even eating JELLO.

I HATE GERMS!!!

How much do you want to make a bet that I'm going to have strep just in time for my favorite holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment